market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] recycled grocery bags

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] recycled grocery bags
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 16:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

> Another possibility is that the bag looked, at first glance, clean when
> they put it in the sack: but the grocery had bagged meat, or something
> else drippy, in the bag; and a few drops that weren't obvious when
> fresh have turned into a stinking miasma as they rotted. I have come
> across bags that had no visibly obvious contamination, but which stank.
> This wasn't always obvious from the top of the stack; but any pathogens
> might nevertheless have contaminated adjacent bags.

For all of the above reasons it really isn't a good idea to pack
customers' veggies directly into used bags. I've gotten many gross bags
recycled through the years. The local supermarkets have recycling bins
for used bags and I now have customers bring them there. I weigh and
prepackage everything at home in new sterile bags and for the few who
haven't been trained to bring cloth bags, I bring my own plastic bags from
the store that I know are clean.
>I only use these for already packaged things. Recycling is a good thing
as long as we're not recycling disease.

  • Re: [Market-farming] recycled grocery bags, sora, 05/13/2009