market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] crop dusting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz" <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] crop dusting
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 19:25:29 -0400

Hi David,

Another lifetime ago, winddrift was a battle I fought constantly as my first farm was located at the back stretch/treeline of several hundred acres that were dusted with windflow in my direction.  I put up No Spray/Organic Farm signs & had several conversations with the pilot and farmer about my "non" certified organic acres.  At first they balked and I sent certified letters/delivery confirmation warnings to pull back their spray distance.  I also notified the extension agent to help with mediation.  The farmer finally agreed to work on lifting up early enough to minimize the winddrift and tried to work with the weather whenever they could.  It didn't completely stop but it lessened it a great deal.  I situated my beds/fields/crops as far away as possible then put my perennial flowers & other things I was less worried about closest to the spray zone.  Not much help I know...

Liz Pike
Horseshoe Gardens
Hillsville VA
zone 6b/7a