market-farming - [Market-farming] Public land leases..unwritten code among

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Public land leases..unwritten code among
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:59:17 -0400

There are a lot of emotional issues surrounding farms and land with a lots of people having a sense of entitlement they really don't have claim to.  If the owner decides to raise their rates or go with another tenant, for whatever reason, that is their right and its rather rude they took up the issue with you as far as I'm concerned, akin to harassment.  I know all to well about the venom that goes with this sort of thing as my family is pretty bad in that regard.  They all think they own land that isn't theirs and begrudge anybody else getting it.  When somebody wants to raise the rates, a perfectly valid thing to do as everything goes up, they get alll ticked off and act like they are entitled to rates set back in the 1940's, totaly ridiculous and its my opinion that its a sort of seige mentality.  Many people have had to leave farms and others that have seen this all their lives grabv with both hands and hold on for dear life, no matter what reason dictates.  Now that my father is dying my aunts are sticking their noses in and think, because the land was their fathers, his land is theirs, not ours, and lie in court and everything else.  I've seen this is so many familys it is unreal and personly I'm sick of it.  The bottom line is you have a right to farm the land as much as anybody else no matter what they say.  If we are going to give back land lost we should go all the way back and give it back to the Indians.  Farming is a business and businesses are not a god given right, they rise and fall like everything else.  I recently bought a farm, then sold it.  The people there didn't think I even had a right to BUY it and my property was constantly being vandalized.  I was born there and had ancestors that had farmed there since before it was a part of the US but my father joined the military so we moved around, though I still have many relatives there.  Then I bought this place and the farmer who was renting it from the previoous owners is upset with me.  He owns thousands of acres and this place is only 40.  Too bad, some poeple think they own the whole world and you are just supposed to roll over for them.  Sorry for the rant but I've no patience for people with a greedy sense of entitlement, I've had a lifetime of it.

Click to become an artist and quit your boring job.

  • [Market-farming] Public land leases..unwritten code among, Wyatt Jones, 04/19/2009