market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potentially hazardous foods

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potentially hazardous foods
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:00:42 -0700 (PDT)

> Are the rest of you being hit for "potentially hazardous Food' health
> department fees? We are being asked for $200 in order to sell eggs at
> the local farmers market here in WV. We are being asked for an
> additional $50 to sell eggs from our farm stand. I assume there will
> be stronger and more fees if HR 875 gets passed because the
> "potentially hazardous foods' are a FDA precursor to the HR 875 food
> safety issues.
>
> -Allan in WV
Yes indeed, new last year here in Idaho. Foods newly listed as
"potentially hazardous" must be produced in an inspected, licensed
commercial kitchen (an expensive endeavor in itself) plus a $65 license.
The fees for the license are to be raised to $200 in the next few years.
Foods listed include all canned products (except jams and jellies,)
Herbal vinegars,pickles, all dried foods including herbs, fresh salsas
and chutneys, juices, and eggs. This created a huge uproar from both
vendors and consumers and has drastically cut back our vendors. Eggs at
the market have become non-existent.
Allan....did you say 200 mile round trip twice a week! unbelievable!
Tack on these new fees to your gas and salaries, and where is any profit?
Sora, wondering what we all get to live on...