market-farming - [Market-farming] Need help with broccoli seedlings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT alltel.net>
  • To: CNG <CertifiedNaturallyGrown AT yahoogroups.com>, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Need help with broccoli seedlings
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:58:25 -0500

Hi, all, hope someone can help me.

I currently have growing indoors under lights about 38 trays of seedlings. Half of them are cole crops. All the plants are about 4-6 wks old and have 4-8 true (adult) leaves. I started hardening off half of them a few days ago for transplant into my garden next week (under row covers).

In one tray of broccoli, that hasn't started the hardening off procedure yet, I noticed the the leaves are starting to yellow. The most yellow ones are the baby leaves (the first two that form after the seedling emerges). At first I thought that was normal since those leaves normally die off/dry up and fall off, but now I've noticed that some of the adult leaves are also starting to yellow. The yellow is starting from the outer, rounded edge of the leaves and making its way back in. And oddly enough, it's only one tray of seedlings doing this (all trays are mixed varieites, btw).

Is the yellow from not enough feedings (fertilizer) or too much? As far as I know, all seedlings have been fed equally, but I might have over-fed or under-fed one tray here or there. I'm currently using:

Fish Emulsion that's OMRI certified N-P-K is 2-4-0.5
I have yet to use it at the dilution recommended for adult plants. I started with 1/4 dilution, and then did 1/2 dilution. I've fed all the plants maybe 3x total in the past six weeks.

If I'm over-feeding, then I'll stop. But if I'm under feeding, what do you suggest I do? I have the Fish Emulsion as stated above, but also have another Fish Emulsion rated 5-1-1, or I have a Foliar Spray (that I've never used) that's 3-2-2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to loose this tray of 50 plants, nor do I want to put sickly ones outside into my garden.

Bobbett, KY zone 6