market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Small farm efficiency studies?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz" <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Small farm efficiency studies?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:14:56 -0400

Hey John,

Here's some resources though they don't give profit margins:

Farm planning and record keeping: http://chatham.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms/farmrecords.html (free download)  Developed by Joel Gruver (he used to be a member of this list, Joel you still here??) for a demonstration organic farm CSA

Brookfield Farm and CSA planning spreadsheets: http://www.brookfieldfarm.org/cps.html  Very extensive and LOADS of info.  Though it's specific to that farm it's easily changeable to other growing situations.  $25

Roxbury Farm Manuals http://www.roxburyfarm.com/image_maps/farm_manuals.html (free download)  Again, specific to that farm but can be adjusted for any farm.

And Marcie Rosenzweig's Market Farm Forms: Spreadsheet Templates for Planning...   http://www.nwpub.net/marcie.html  also a (former?) member of this list.

Now while all of these are for CSA's...planning for a CSA is good business as you are aiming for more specific yields and variety, and being forced to document it ; )).

Liz Pike
Horseshoe Gardens.com
Hillsville VA
zone 6b/7a