market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] germination chamber

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] germination chamber
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:10:23 -0500

Marie,
I use a glass-door commercial refrigerator as a germination chamber. I
have an electric lamp on the floor of the fridge, either a small desk
lamp, or a bulb in a ceramic bulb holder attached to a piece of wood.
Use an old-fashioned incandescent, not a CF bulb. I found I could
start the season with 90W and decrease the wattage as the season
advanced and the ambient temperature increased. I put a roller blind
on the outside of the door, as the sun was making it too hot!

Pam, Twin Oaks, central Virginia

We have a three-door freezer unit from a local grocery store. It has no