market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] how many tomato plants?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] how many tomato plants?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 09:56:57 -0500

Were it me I would be thinking that indoor tomatoes should do something like half a pound per plant per week, for plants with some disease resistance. On heirlooms I would do what space and time that I have to waste, as 2-3 years out of 5 I will not get much that is usefull.

Outdoors I would be doing a bunch of Celebitiies, Jetstars, Early Girls and Better Boys, again the disease resistant so that I would not be on a 3 day spray schedule
with that old stuff.

With some equipment potatoes can be excellent and over-doing is a plus in case
it is necessary to bring up the overall value of the accounts with storage squash and potatoes. Without a decent line of harvest, washing, bagging equipment I would not consider potatoes a financially rewarding activity at 500lbs a week by hand. Russets seed can go in 16 -18 inches apart, early reds like Norland can go in nearly touching each other, explains the wide estimate.

There are a bunch of crop estimators online, here is one.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-331/426-331guide.html

MAsteveINE