market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] plug production questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JOHN A HENDRICKSON <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] plug production questions
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:56:58 -0600

Andy,

I could if I had one! I still utilize a neighboring farm's incubation
chamber and greenhouse for much of my plant-starting, especially early in the
season when it just does not pay to heat my small greenhouse for a
(relatively) small amount of plants. Eventually I will build a germ. chamber
on my farm but that is still in the planning phase.

What is commonly done around here is to build an insulated "closet" of sorts
and heat it with a heater unit submerged in water so that you get moist heat
and the flats do not dry out. The heater is controlled with a thermostat to
achieve targeted temperatures. I do know one farm that forgoes the moist
heat and just uses a space heater. To keep the flats moist he puts flats in
plastic bags (4-5 flats per bag). After an appropriate incubation period, he
pulls the flats out just before actual germination. This is a larger farm
and they utilized a portion of a small outbuilding which they insulated
heavily as their incubation room.

Another observation is that most homemade incubation chambers I've observed
have non-solid shelves (wood slats or conduit) to help insure more uniform
temperatures. This is also cheaper as it reduces the amount of materials
needed. That said, it is perfectly fine to stack flats in order to not have
to build a really large chamber. You can pack a lot of flats into a small
space.

I plan to put up some information on (and pictures) of homemade incubation
chambers on the web very soon through my work at UW-Madison. When I do that,
I will be sure to let the Market-Farming Listserve community know.

-John