market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] 3 PT Tiller / Spader

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] 3 PT Tiller / Spader
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:02:51 -0500

I thought about getting a recipocating spader but got a small chisel plow instead.  Recipocating spaders are high maintenance, especially when considering having to replace the shovels, Tortella spec thier shovels at 1- acres each, meaning a 5 shovel unit has to have its shovels replaced every 50 acres and they cost $60 each.   The rotary spaders seem more like improved rototillers to me and still churn the soil a lot.  I'm considering getting a Power Harrow, if i can find a decent one cheap enough, the secondary tillage companion to the spader, which is really a primary tillage tool.  Rotary harrrows are sort of like a vertical tiller and don't mix up soil layers or bury fertilizer and topsoil.  Some people use them as a single pass Primary/secondary tillage tool as it can till about a foot deep but I have clay soil and probably can't use it that way though I might try if I get it.  Anybody ever use one of these?  I've used a small, two wheel tractor model and it worked well but didn't go very deep.

Wyatt

Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.