market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering root crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT voyager.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering root crops
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 05:04:35 -0500

here in SW Ohio I have garlic i planted in the ground but i also have garlic i harvested last July that i sell through the winter. the growing garlic does just fine in the ground under a medium weight row cover. the harvested garlic is in the fridge to keep it from sprouting (cold and dark). Same thing with the onions. I have onions growing in the ground over winter (though not many this year as the cold late fall did most in)

Carrots get harvested before it gets really cold but did live through a lot of  subfreezing weather before being dug in Mid December. parsnips can take more cold so they are dug as needed through the winter (assuming the soil is not frozen). leeks are left in the ground all winter and harvested as needed. We like putting these in a hoophouse as they do better with more protection and it is a lot easier to harvest them in a nice hoop house where the soil almost never freezes and there is no precip or winds. Turnips I pull (including rutabagas) before it really freezes hard. they can take frosts but not prolong freezing. Celeriac needs to come out after the first couple of light freezes, as I found out this year. I does not like being frozen solid, though have did recover and lasted in a fridge for about 6 weeks after harvest.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH