market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] (no subject)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Linda Amico" <L_Amico AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] (no subject)
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 19:09:42 -0500

We plant garlic in the fall in CT.  The ones I planted 2 yrs ago were really small the following summer so I left them in the ground.  The regrew last summer & were bigger.

Linda Amico
CT zone 6*

Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 4:50 PM
Subject: [Market-farming] (no subject)

Hey John,

I can’t leave garlic or onions under during winter here in NE Ohio.  Will be no good in spring when they start growing again.  Forgot about some and found out the hard way!  But I do leave all my carrots and beets in the ground to winter over with thick hay mulch and dig them throughout the winter.  They are sooooooooo sweet then!  Thanks for reminding me, I need to dig some for dinner!  Thanks!

Courtney

Herb Thyme

Middlefield, Oh

Zone 5’ish

Hi

I am a new farmer to the list, in Vermont

Question:

Have any of you ever left root crops over winter ?

Garlic maybe, onions ?

John