market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] outdoor wood furnaces

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] outdoor wood furnaces
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 10:20:47 -0500

I've researched Wood Boilers as I was and am still thinking about getting one.  One thing to be aware of is that the EPA passed new emissions regulations supposed to take effect in 2010.  Whether they do or not in 2010 given the economy and energy problems we are having these days is somewhat in question but thats the story as I understand it at present.  The Epa has a website listing all the approved models, with Central Boiler and Greenwood Technologies very promonent there.  Seems most the ones that passed are gasification units, which are also much more efficient, need cleaning less often because the fuel is burned completly to white ash and more expensive.  The Central Boiler website show a lot of options and they have a lot of options, like greenhose heat exchangers of different sizes.  Even if the new regulations go into effect I imagine the older, already installed, units will be granfathered in, depending on location, but maybe just for a grace period.  As I mentioned I'm thinking about it but a decent gasification unit costs almost $10,000 plus you need a cement pad, plumbing, electricity run out to it, heat exchangers etc, not a cheap proposition in the short run.  For now I decided to buy a tractor instead.  If you don't care about a big polluting monster in your back yard there are cheaper units but I think its risky as there is no gaurantee they won't be prohibited altogether sometime in the near future.

Here is a link to the EPA site listing Furnaces and their emmisions.  It also has links to the Company sites so you can look them over most closely.

Wyatt

Fashion Design Education - Click Here!