market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peat as animal bedding.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peat as animal bedding.
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 08:12:26 -0800

I first tried to shread the leaves with my WW Grinder, the old style machine they used to sell in Organic Gardening mag. That required having to lift and dump leaves by hand into the hopper which was too much work. Later I made big piles and shredded with my Gravely mower which has a 30" front mounted mower, just going back and forth into the piles then raking and stuffing into feed bags. You don't want too fine a grind usually just halving the leaves is enough. I never used a small push mower with a bagger but I think that would work well, the leaves need to be wind blown crunchy dry before shredding. I always liked composting leaves through the hen house. The hens eat the leaves and get a little mineral supp. from them, I clean out the hen house and the final mixture composts fast after a few months on the pile, the CN ratio still needs more organic material for composting because there is a awful lot of manure absorbed to the litter... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.