market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salad spinners

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salad spinners
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 12:20:50 -0400

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:13:39 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm confused about salad spinners.
>
>I think the idea is that you are trying to wash dirt off the lettuce.
>
>But doesn't the water wilt the lettuce?

The main idea of the spinner is to get the lettuce *dry* after washing it.
Certainly, that's the main point of the household-size salad spinners (I
have one and use it whenever I wash lettuce or other greens or herbs.)

The farm-size ones work on the same principle - i.e., the main reason you
have one is to dry the greens after washing them, although you can probably
use them to wash the greens as well, if you wish (I use mine that way).

No, the process doesn't crush the lettuce.

I have this one:

http://tinyurl.com/6mhkgg

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania