market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seed sources & sympathy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seed sources & sympathy
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:57:27 -0500

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 12:04:42PM +0000, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:
> Temps in the low 100's really are fairly typical for this time of year. I'd
> like to find some crops that grow well in this heat, that our customers
> will buy. So far tomatoes are doing fine as well as okra. Peppers and
> eggplant have slowed down, but we don't sell a lot of eggplant so that's OK.
> I'm thankful that I don't have to deal with 110! Now that's hot!

Many cucubrits will handle the heat if they get enough water. Here in
central Texas, I have good to fair luck with cantaloupe, watermelon,
Seneca zucchini, Tatume. Of course, all southern peas including long
beans. Getting water on the surface for germination is a major problem;
thankfully, the hurricane brought us enough water to bring up many rows
I had planted in anticipation. Surprisingly, I can grow arugula if I
watch it closely enough.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 223 days 2 hours 51 minutes