market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potatoes
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:15:13 -0400

On Jul 10, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Stephanie Nosacek wrote:

<x-tad-smaller> I can tell you what it is because I had the same problem. It's raccoons! They were digging grubs out of my rabbit manure and since the grubs are beetles, the japanese kind, I thought I'd leave it alone and let it do it's thing. It isn't bothering me or the rabbits.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>  </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> Until I found out that it likes potatoes. Then it marked my corn and bean patch. There's scat all over one end of the rows. They are pooping and urination on my beans and corn. So the raccoon is staking out territory.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>  </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> Steph</x-tad-smaller>

<x-tad-smaller>
I'll pass this on too; but the only thing that's being dug up in this case is one potato at a time. No holes elsewhere from digging for grubs, no scat left behind to indicate what was doing it; and no disturbance of other nearby crops. And the potato isn't eaten; at least, not to start with (why they eventually disappear isn't clear, but if the main reason for digging them up is to eat them, I don't know why the eater would bounce them around for two nights and not eat them till the third).

Are the raccoons at your place digging up one potato at a time and leaving them on the surface of the ground?
</x-tad-smaller>