market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] rabbit control and dogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT voyager.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] rabbit control and dogs
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 07:22:43 -0400

We use them quite effectively for bunny control. Our oldest dog figured out on his own how to be a predator and has always been a good hunter of raccoons, rabbits, mice, voles, etc.. (he is also a great livestock guard dog). he taught our youngest dog how to hunt. than we got an older dog who had no hunting exp (he was a city dog) but a lot of desire and we taught him to hunt rabbits by giving him a baby bunny we found (nest about 5 feet from a lettuce bed). once he figured out that if you caught an animal you can eat it, he became a pretty effective hunter and changed from just chasing prey to trying and often succeeding in catching prey.