market-farming - [Market-farming] Under sowing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pam Twin Oaks" <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Under sowing
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:36:31 -0400

<What would be the best thing I could use to under sow corn and sunflowers?

Andy King
Sunflower King's Farm>

We undersow our sweet corn at the second cultivation (30 days from
sowing?) with soybeans. They take some shade and some foot traffic at
harvest time. Also, they're a legume, so could potentially add
nitrogen. After harvest, we bush hog the patch and wait until fall
when we disk and sow the winter cover crop. Partly we do this because
we have a good source of organic soy bean seed (we have a tofu
business).

We undersow our late corn with oats (I guess we could do oats and
soy....) in August (zone 7). After harvest we bush hog, then leave the
oats growing into the winter. They get winter-killed, and we use that
patch for an early spring crop.

Looking forward to hearing what other people suggest......

Pam, Twin oaks, Louisa, VA

  • [Market-farming] Under sowing, Pam Twin Oaks, 04/19/2008