market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 63, Issue 24

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 63, Issue 24
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:47:10 -0700 (PDT)

> I have a berry garden that I'm trying to establish in a pretty weedy
> corner of pasture that tends to get ignored a bit compared to the more
> cultivated gardens. I'm looking for something that will really help with
> weed suppression to give the berries a fighting chance at getting
> established. At the moment, there is no possibility for irrigation up
> there.
>
> Any advice or recommendations would be helpful.
>
>I established a raspberry patch under similar conditions and originally
tried landscape cloth, hated it...weeds grew around and under and
eventually it just disintegrated into hunks that were a royal pain to get
out. I then tilled and put into dutch white clover which helped improve
the soil but needed to be redone regularly. For the last 5 years, I've
been mulching with cardboard boxes spread flat with 3' straw on top. The
boxes biodegrade completely in a year, work great for weed suppression,
and help hold in the moisture. The raspberries absolutely love it.