market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] geese

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ken Bezilla <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] geese
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 00:50:36 +0000

On a farm I worked at in Oregon, we had both ducks and geese.  The geese acted as guards for the ducks, and the ducks ate slugs -- very important role in an Oregon farm's ecosystem! -- we'd let the ducks roam around during the winter (when there weren't crops to worry about them trampling on), and the ducks would eat all the slugs they could find, which'd keep the slugs in check enough to be able to grow crops during spring-fall.  A couple times a year we'd clean out the hoophouse and let the ducks in for a week -- once in September, and then once again in February.

Ken Bezilla
formerly of Oregon
now central VA