market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] geese

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] geese
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 18:02:11 -0500

That would be ducks.
Ducks eat slugs, bugs, frogs, etc. When we had ducks, we didn't have tadpoles in our pond anymore.

..ditto my ducks...ate the toads and frogs that I actually wanted to keep around until the dratted coyote ate the ducks.  The ducks would follow a machine around catching the toads trying get out of harm's way.
 I have always gotten chickens to eat slugs one time only.  I would turn over the board traps in the morning for the spring chickens to clean up which they did.  Then they spend the rest of the morning trying to wipe off  beaks sticky with slug goo  in the gravel driveway.  They would never touch them again.  (I can never let chickens have run of the fields anyway.  They love strawberries as much as bugs.)
 Food web on the farm.  This is the beginning of the varmint year.
 I have heard that turkeys love hornworms, but as they also love greens, I can't trust turkeys either.

 I am setting back the aphids with a nicotine spray in the greenhouse..leaving a quarter of the house unsprayed where the ladybugs are sleeping late this year.

Meanwhile, at the History Garden we have live trapped groundhogs and always seem to get more.  My friend, River Dick, has often chuckled and said, take that varmint down to the river and see if he can drink it dry.  No critter has yet.  But I have to be careful of Volunteer sensibilities...personally, I quite like the idea of groundhog hide shoestrings.
Shawnee, tush over teakettles in seedlings, zone 5

Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started!