market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Controlling groundhogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Controlling groundhogs
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 19:36:16 -0500

> Can you point out to the powers that be that dogs on leashes aren't historically accurate? ;)
>
> --
> Richard Robinson
> http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/

Too funny....I could write an amusing book on historical misconceptions and this garden project.  My goal has been to get this all-volunteer group co-ordinated to staff their market stand.  So far, I am at the start of a third season of rolling the proverbial rock back up the hill.  I do think that the volunteer group just needs to get hungry enough to shoot that fat groundhoglet family and stew them pioneer style.  Note to the writer who suggested gassing the animals with car exhaust.....we thought of that too, but the burrow is partly involved with the original house foundation-from 1838-and there's no way to gas the rodent without also gassing the house.  Yikes.  Somebody would probably gas me.

If anyone has read Michael Pollan's account of trying to fire bomb his groundhog problem.....that's about how crazy I am getting.  I always had groundhogs on my farm, but they confined themselves to eating windfall apples in the compost piles and annoying my knee with their holes.  I've never had them chomp through the profit like this.  I like the wiener dog idea too, but I have a shitz-su who prefers shaking the bejesus out of chickens when she rarely has the chance.

Shawnee, zone 5-ish some seasons, still with more kittens in the greenhouse than I want, but no rodents there either.