market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Controlling groundhogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Controlling groundhogs
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:19:11 -0500

Well, I will certainly try this idea.  I think that I have tried everything else.  Never had such a problem with groundhogs until the last two seasons.  I have always objected to their knee-crunching holes, but in 2006, the family gnawed every gourd in the patch.  In 2007, they chewed each precious marketable pumpkin and watermelon. A good dog would help of course, but this acreage is located in a forest preserve, and all the dogs are on leashes attached to people running by.  The garden must be historically accurate to 1840-50 which would include using a gun, but I don't own one.  I have threatened laser beams to save the harvest, but other people think that I lack perspective. (Plus, I don't actually have a laser beam either.)

So, at the start of 2008, I am fraught.  The groundhogs are costing us a lot of money and never mind the way my knee wrenches if I stumble into one of their holes.  Ex-lax is cheap compared to the profit the rodents are munching......

Shawnee, zone 5 and losing contact with  government nonsense while the natural world starts to bedevil me.

Hi Shawnee.....Not too scientific but, have you tried ex-lax for your groundhog troubles? Put a couple of squares by the hole and they "think" somethings wrong with the food in the area and move on... That's the theory I heard and I know someone who has had success with it. Only one, but it's the only person I know who tried it.

Have Fun
Dave z6a

Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started!