market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Backpack sprayers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Backpack sprayers
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:05:08 -0400

On Mar 27, 2008, at 11:38 AM, <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com> wrote:

My understanding is that piston pump sprayers are not conducive to use with wettable powders. But, it would seem to me that if the piston is external, it may not be affected by particle wear, although I don't know that for sure. Can anyone confirm or dispute that? Does anyone else have comments re the virtues of piston pump units vs. diaphragm units?

Solo at least used to (maybe still does) give you a choice of piston or diaphragm pumps in the same sprayer. That's how I wound up with two; I used to spray rotenone as a wettable powder (no longer allowable for certified organic use, at least in any available formulation) and ruined a pump. They said I could get the sprayer repaired with the other type of pump, but that pressure wouldn't be quite as good; so I got it repaired with the same type and bought a second unit with the other type.

I don't know whether they've changed the pumps to relocate the piston or otherwise reduce the problem. I think you could just ask Solo (or whichever manufacturer) which if any of their pumps would work with the material(s) you intend to use.