market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] canopies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] canopies
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:36:54 -0700

I've used an E-Z up for years by myself at market. I'm barely 5-feet tall and cannot be described as strong. What has worked for me (don't get a lighter weight version, you'll regret it when it starts falling apart), is to set it up by getting underneath it in the middle (after attaching the canopy and getting it partially open) and push up the center and shake out the canopy until it stretches far enough to lock the corners in one by one. I've done it with the E-Z Up and with a cheaper lighter version and it was easier to do with the E-Z Up. You can actually pickup the whole weight of the E-Z Up by yourself if you do it from the center. The sides usually spread themselves out as soon as you get it off the ground a couple inches. However, if yours is really rusty from use, you may need to squirt some WD-40 on some of the hinged areas to get it to move smoothly. Do this at home without the cover on so you won't get it all greasy/stained.

Also, I've discovered that most other vendors are quite willing to give you the 1-minute of time needed to have 2 people set it up and be done with it. That's the most efficient/safest way.

Stay with the E-Z-Up. I still regret selling mine to someone else and replacing it with the Costco almost-the-same version. It's by far harder to set up with or without two people because of really cheap joints that don't want to do what they are supposed to do. Also the first time I used it, the center piece broke at the top and I've had to jury-rig it to stay together ever since.

Kate