market-farming - [Market-farming] Water Bubblers for Washing Greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: ecoponderosa <3cedarsfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Water Bubblers for Washing Greens
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 23:16:42 -0500

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 8:22 AM, john good <goodfarmers AT enter.net> wrote:
> We are considering building/purchasing some sort of system to act as a
> water aerator/bubbler for our fifty gallon tank in which we wash greens. I
> am considering building something with PVC pipe and hooking it up to a
> pancake air compressor, but am also interested in possibly using a system
> for a large aquarium, small pond, jacuzzi, bathtub, etc., that would act as
> a vigourous aerator of our wash tank to better remove dirt from greens,
> especially spinach.

You may need to use an aquarium, hydroponics, food industry or medical
grade compressor for this. If you are planning on buying a shop or
construction compressor for this purpose you may want to consider the fact
that the lubrication oil in the crankcase of the unit will more than likely
diffuse very small to very measurable amounts of oil in the form of mist,
droplets, or vapor into the air it is moving into your washer through
seepage into the compression head. I would not trust any filtration
equipment to adequately remove this before it gets to your wash water. You
would obviously not want any amount of oil whatsoever to get onto your
vegetables. Should it happen you might not be able to see it but your
produce would be rendered unsaleable.