market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Water Bubblers for Washing Greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Water Bubblers for Washing Greens
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 15:11:08 -0500

interesting idea. . . we're using a round 300 gal stock tank for loose
greens. if you attached it to the bottom of the tank it might be viable
(constantly putting the tank on end - no where to store the contraption).

what about using a round tank with high volume pump? and just spin
everything in a circle? maybe set the pump to draw from the bottom,
have it mounted on the side half way up. then point it down to
facilitate mixing between the layers (salad mix) or just even
hydration. i'd only worry about bruising and clogging the inlet, if it
pulls off the tank.

also, what about oversizing the tank (so there is more clearance between
the inlet and produce) and using a high volume, low pressure pump that
pushes water vertically? they use a few at a waterfowl area near me to
keep an area from freezing. you should get some manner of
convection/displacement going enough to knock off dirt.

the bigger labor problem for us (in salad) is weeds. pick - pick -
pick. i'd love to have a harvest/processing system that was 15+ #/hr,
but without good weed control it is impossible.

john
danville, in