market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salt Buildup in Hoophouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: David Tannen <david AT centerville.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salt Buildup in Hoophouses
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 06:52:02 -0600

Maureen,

I was warned about this a few years ago from Steve Moore, the unheated greenhouse pioneer. He said to never use compost from manures in the greenhouse because of their high salt content. He only used compost from plant materials in his greenhouses in order to avoid this problem.
Steve would bury 2 foot wide sections of 1" thick blue styrofoam around the perimeter of his greenhouses for extra insulation. The perimeter was trenched, the blueboard placed at an angle against the toeboards and then recovered. This worked beautifully, but would not allow any salts to leach out. He was very careful concerning the compost he used.

David
maureen bostock wrote:
I would like to hear more about salt buildups as a result of the compost used.
Which materials in compost would cause this?
Maureen Bostock
Sweet Meadow Farm