market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Another Cotton Burr question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: " Patricia Jackowsky" <pjackowsky AT att.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Another Cotton Burr question
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:02:10 -0600

>>>Since cotton burrs have a carbon to nitrogen ration of 22:1, will the nitrogen in the soil be tied up if the burrs are just tilled into the soil instead of composting first?  It sure would be easier to spread some burrs and till them in.  >>>

Mark,
We used birrs for years and always tilled them in without composting.  The results were amazing the first season with tremendous increase in yeild.  However, there is a drawback.  The burrs harbored several types of weeds that were a pain in the rear to get rid of in a vegetable garden short of pulling by hand.  But the increase in productivity was worth it.

Pat