market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salt build-up in hoophouse soil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salt build-up in hoophouse soil
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:49:54 -0600 (CST)

High EC in hoophouses is going to become a major problem in the future as
hoophouse growing matures. If your water is not the problem then the high EC.
is an indicator of high levels of fertility. In my greenhouses where I grow
potted crops I just water heavily until the EC falls to a safe level. In
other words I leach out the nutrients into the ground water. If you can
remove the poly for a season and let the rains work on the soil you should be
OK. otherwise don't apply anymore fertilizer or compost and cycle the salts
through the crop. I test my water with an EC meter. When the salts exceed 4
millimohs/cubic centimeter I cut back on fertilizer... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.