market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Need Pepper recomendations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Need Pepper recomendations
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:52:58 -0600

Subject: [Market-farming] Need Pepper recomendations

Wow, Bill those are movie star peppers.....could you post your growing/harvesting methods please?

I have grown all of the peppers mentioned previously and had good results.  I also like Red Ace-for green and red harvest.  My particular personal favorite is Lipstick  (seed from Johnny's)....a sweet, intensely deep red, thick walled, heart shaped pepper with almost no growing problems in zone 5 and organic culture.

I also have have excellent results from Carmen, an Italian sweet frying pepper of tremendous size and productivity. Poblano usually sell well too (seed  from Johnny's)

Tomato Grower's Supply has an interesting-and large-selection of pepper seed.

One last suggestion....Hispanic friends/co-workers often give me a sample of seeds that they have saved from favorite peppers back home.  Growing these out is fun with unexpected results most seasons...but the best has been a variety called "Chiles Mansana"....jalapeno hot, but need a longer growing season than Northern Illinois to bear well.  I usually bring the plants into a greenhouse and expect to harvest a good supply in October/November.  This season I have an un-named marble sized pepper to try which I understand to be muy, muy, caliente.  Peligro!  Much hotter than tabasco peppers if I get the Spanglish right.

Shawnee, zone 5 and another 6 inches of snow expected on top of the mountains that we already have.  This winter is a lot like 1978-79...nowhere to put the snow anymore.

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailĀ®-get your "fix". Check it out.