market-farming - [Market-farming] snow load management on hoophouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Daniel Botkin" <dbotkin AT valinet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] snow load management on hoophouses
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 06:42:54 -0500

I thought the gothic arch hoophouses were supposed to be self-shedding of snow? Apparently this is not always so...

Our 65' quonset style hoophouse was a freebie so I took it and resolved to be occasionally up nights in wet blizzards clearing dangerous snow loads. I use a homemade 15' snow rake covered (soft edges) with old socks. And yes, dry snow sheers right away, whereas wet, sticky or freezing stuff tends to glom on! Timing is everything...

All the crushed hoophouses I've had the sad opportunity to observe collapsed downward from sheer weight of wet snow. Just to hedge the bet, I also installed stout, locust posts inside the house every 8' along the central purlin "spine" to guard somewhat against downward collapse by excessive weight. These posts have also been very useful in building elevated interior benches, arbors, etc.

Hang in there everybody!

Daniel
Laughing Dog Farm
Western Mass, (zone 4/5)

  • [Market-farming] snow load management on hoophouses, Daniel Botkin, 02/15/2008