market-farming - [Market-farming] Snow loads

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Carol W. Larsen" <sunborn AT mhtc.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Snow loads
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:14:48 -0600

We have 2 hoophouses and have done the bounce thing from the inside and the
scrape thing from the outside with a roof scraper that has old towels
duct-taped all around the edges. The rope idea sounds great cuz it solves
the problem of getting the snow off the top most area. I'm gonna try that.

I did do an emergency plastic removal late December for a hoophouse that had
thawed and refrozen snow at the top. It was so heavy that no way could I
bounce the snow off or reach to the top from the outside.
We've had over 80" this winter, an all time record for the Madison,
Wisconsin area. Amazing. Love my electric blanket.

Carol Larsen
Sunborn Gardens

  • [Market-farming] Snow loads, Carol W. Larsen, 02/14/2008