market-farming - [Market-farming] EZ Pepper Stakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] EZ Pepper Stakes
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 09:06:27 -0600 (CST)

Most farmers around here stake peppers like tomatoes with the Florida weave.
For me that is too much work. Last year I tried staking every individual
plant using nursery grade bamboo stakes. 1/2"X4FT stakes. I push them in the
narrow end first about 6" deep and use a single twistum to hold the plant.
Stakes were 14 cents each. I could have easily saved the stakes and cut off
the 6" worn end each season, until they wear down to 2ft. They pull out of
the ground easily. Buy since I don't use plastic mulch I just simply
rotavated the stakes under in the fall along with the pepper plants. This
method worked very well and the pepper quality from staking more than paid
for the added expense... Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.