market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] WAS: Pre-emergents NOW: Pre-emergents, Mulch, an d Compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] WAS: Pre-emergents NOW: Pre-emergents, Mulch, an d Compost
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 18:15:53 GMT

We gave up trying to use mulch a couple of years ago. I'm here on the farm
full time, husband part time and time is always the big issue for us. So, we
use herbicides.
As for your cotton burrs, I think I would compost them first, to kill what
weed seeds I could. Then spread it on top the ground. If any weeds do survive
and emerge, they should be easy to hoe out.
We had a terrible problem with a weed called buffalo burr. This is the most
thorny, miserable weed on the planet! Little hair like thorns that if you
just brush against the plants those devils break off in your clothes or your
skin, and you can't get them out. Anyway, we constantly rotate crops. All
season. And, with each new crop a different herbicide goes down, whatever is
labeled. That has helped. We have nearly eradicated the buffalo burr. We
still see bits of it here and there, but NOTHING like before.
As for spraying, we try and group things together that can take Treflan for
instance. Or Dual. That way we can spray a bigger area, all at once and save
a little of that rinsing and filling of the spray tank.
We've been farming about 5 acres and this year we are pushing to get 7 ready.
Spreading mulch by hand on that large of an area would kill me I think!
Carla
Perkins,OK
Save on your monthly mortgage payments and avoid bankruptcy. Click now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3oMJMU1R7CGEitokK96itGZXIUUWh4heuwKbb1A6OCLKPioM/

  • Re: [Market-farming] WAS: Pre-emergents NOW: Pre-emergents, Mulch, an d Compost, cjmaness AT juno.com, 02/01/2008