market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] new crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] new crops
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:55:24 -0500

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:37:02 -0800, you wrote:

>Baker Creek seeds has Rapini seeds www.rareseeds.com I am not sure if they
>have them in quantities big enough for market farming. I have been happy
>with the Rapini seeds I have gotten from them. Rapini is very tasty raw,
>when very young. They are delicious lightly sautéed with garlic. Try them
>brushed with olive oil and grilled or roasted with coarse salt and freshly
>ground pepper.

The 'broccolini' I bought in a supermarket is nothing at all like rapini: I
grow rapini (and love it!), which is also called 'broccoli raab' or 'cima
di rapa' or various other things.

But 'broccolini' is a new plant; newly developed by the Sakata Seed Company
in Japan - the two plants (rapini and broccolini) are not at all the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broccolini

Pat

-- Northern Pennsylvania

Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
the one we have.