market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] new crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L. Wilson" <booldawgs AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] new crops
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:37:02 -0800

Baker Creek seeds has Rapini seeds  www.rareseeds.com  I am not sure if they have them in quantities big enough for market farming.  I have been happy with the Rapini seeds I have gotten from them.   Rapini is very tasty raw, when very young.  They are delicious lightly sautéed with garlic. Try them brushed with olive oil and grilled or roasted with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper.

I am considering trying to save my own seeds for the first time this year.  For many reasons, one of them being to avoid seeds being patented and protected. The Italians in Northern California have been growing and eating Rapini for many years.  I first ate in when I lived in Sonoma County.