market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seed sources & getting started

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seed sources & getting started
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 06:29:08 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Liz Pike" <strawbry_wine AT yahoo.com>
To: "MF" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 7:57 PM
Subject: [Market-farming] seed sources & getting started

Yaaayyyy!!! We'll be planting a market garden this year!!! Finally!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited I feel like a kid at Christmas...it's been toooo long in me getting back to my roots...pun intended ; )))

I'm now looking for seed sources. We've got catalogs from Johnny's, and I downloaded Fedco's catalog, and got a few more on the way. Any others y'all recommend?? I feel sooo rusty going into this, but I'm so excited...I'm sure it will be like riding a bicycle ; ))

Also, we have a full basement I'd like to turn into a processing center. Unfortunately it will take some regrading to get easier access to it from the growing area, but the basement is so perfectly set up for this I'll use it instead of building something new. What sorts of things would you build into or redo in a processing center if you had the chance?? We've got 1600 sq feet to play with, concrete walls/floors with drains, easy water access.

Liz Pike
Hillsville VA