market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seed sources & getting started

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seed sources & getting started
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:26:42 -0600

seed sources:  Johnny's has been my primary source since their first humble catalogue.  Stokes also.  Over time, I have spread seed orders to different suppliers....Cook's Garden, Nichol''s Herb Garden, Renee Shephard, Seed Saver's of course, Tomato Grower's Supply for the baseball sized tomatillo/Cisnero variety, Baker's Heirloom Seeds for good separate gourd varieties

Monticello....yes, Thomas Jefferson's digs, has an interesting collection of seeds and you can imagine the marketing possibilties at your stand.  Lightening fast service from Monticello; seed somewhat pricey but all open pollinated of course.

The past three seasons I have been getting a few varieties from Native Seed Search...many heirloom beans, and separate colors of sorghum...seed heads are an instant sell in the fall.

The best thing ever in a harvest processing room.....salvaged restaurant sinks....lovely stainless steel that polishes to a clean sparkle, deep tubs and not very expensive from a used supplier.

Most desired in a harvest room.....a system to reclaim all those gallons of water...to reuse in the garden or  retain in a pond or something. There are some interesting permaculture plans for this sort of thing.  It drives me nuts to see all that water just going away down a drain.

Shawnee, zone 5

I'm now looking for seed sources.   We've got catalogs from Johnny's, and I downloaded Fedco's catalog, and got a few more on the way.  .  What sorts of things would you build into or redo in a processing center if you had the chance??  We've got 1600 sq feet to play with, concrete walls/floors with drains, easy water access.

Liz Pike
Hillsville VA

Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!