market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA Share Structure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA Share Structure
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 11:10:27 -0500

What I do is to have a choice table.  The choice table is set up like a market table with more of what is already in the shares plus lots of different fruits and vegetables.  Each week my members pick up their pre-packed basic share and go to the share table to pick up items to supplement the base share.  As an example if small shares are getting 8 things one week, they may have five items in their basic share and the opportunity to choose three additional items off of the choice table.  The choice table seems to work fairly well both as a way for members to get more of a particular item or to choose something unique.  It also works well for me for items which produce over a fairly long season, like eggplant, which people would not want to see in their shares every week.

Watching how people approach the choice table can be fun also.  Some people have a real dollars and cents mindset and consistently choose items which cost the most in the store, like raspberries, while others go for size - choosing a watermelon rather than something smaller, while others, especially people who have been members for a few years seem to just look and choose based on what looks good to them for that week.  Having a choice table also prompts conversation as people look at what is available and, especially for the unfamiliar items, discuss how to prepare them and what they taste like.

In stocking the choice table, my goal is to bring home at least one of everything on the table because then I will know that everyone got their first choices.  Practically speaking, I stock the table with 10-20% more than people will take with them.  I have also learned that the fruit will go first, followed quickly by potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, beans, peas and the other US standards.  My members like the idea of having access to many different vegetables, but when offered a choice usually default to the tried and true.

I also have a herb table with fresh cut herbs.  My members can take what they want from the herb table each week as a bonus to their shares.

Andy
www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com

David Booth wrote:
BLU107-W26B1A5E42638C791833CB7D1590 AT phx.gbl" type="cite"> I am sorry if the subject line is a little vague.  What we are hoping to do for our CSA shareholders next season is to structure the shares so that instead of us dictating one head lettuce, three beets, two turnips, etc.  shareholders might choose a specific number of units. depending on their share size.  Thus they might choose two units of lettuce, one unit of beets, and no turnips for example.  Or all beets if they want to make pickled beets.  From a shareholders perspective, I think this could significantly increase satisfaction.  I can also imagine the challenges on our end.  I am wondering if any of you use a similar system and what you have found to be the greatest benefits and challenges.  Would you recommend it?  Thank you and happy happy holidays to all.

David Booth & Norma Hernandez
Arcadia Brook Farm
North Ferrisburg, Vermont