market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] 3pt Bedlifter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] 3pt Bedlifter
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 12:41:23 -0500

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 06:13:31AM -0600, Brenton Johnson wrote:
> We are looking to build or buy a tractor mounted bedlifter to help with
> digging and harvesting carrots, leeks and garlic. Please let us know
> what you are using and what works well. E-mailed photos of your
> equipment off list would really be helpful.

No response on this?

For carrots and garlic, we try to have moist soil at harvest time.
Either applied or after a rain. And then pull by hand.

Quite a few years ago, when I thought I was in the grape plant
business, I had a harvest aid built for 1st year rooted cuttings. It
is a vertical box made of grader blades. The width matches Cat II
pins, about 25" I think. It didn't work well for grapes; it was hard
to get down into the ground and it didn't cut roots well. You are
welcome to borrow it.

I also have a very wide "middle buster" that I use for digging potatoes
and breaking up old beds. I can show that to you, but I can't let it
go.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 126 days 13 hours 00 minutes