market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Use of Gypsum

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ipa.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Use of Gypsum
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 07:57:23 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

There are a couple of excellent books and reference manuals
on gypsum and related soil amendments from Wallace Laboratories
in California.

Wallace Laboratories
http://www.bettersoils.com

For gypsum papers and references, particularly see the
Wallace book titled "Soil Conditioner and Amendment
Technologies, Volume I".

It is one of my favorite reference manuals containing
articles on gypsum, organic matter, compost, and soil
conditioners.

For example, see:

"Gypsum is Almost a Universal Soil Amendment"
"Economic Values of Gypsum"
"Uses of Gypsum on Acid Soils"
"Calcium in Gypsum is Also a Plant Nutrient"
"Use of Gypsum vs More Soluble Calcium Compounds"
"The Gypum, Organic Matter, Polymer Triangle"

See the Publication Order Form for this book for a
list of topics and article titles, and how to purchase.
http://www.bettersoils.com/downloads/scatbro1.pdf

"Handbook of Soil Conditioners" published by Marcel Decker
and edited by Arthur Wallace, is another source. It can be
found in an ag college library.

The bottomline with soil amendments is affordable products
and "shipping" costs. It depends on an available source in
your region.

Gypsum can be a good soil amendment for flocculating clayey
soils or to reduce sodium content (in westerly climes), but
you also need to build soil organic matter with composts and
cover crops and so forth.

Steve Diver