market-farming - [Market-farming] Just wondering

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Just wondering
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:04:11 -0500

This season is as busy as spring but with fewer options.....there's no time to replant and recover from a hard start.
Here, in North Central Illinois, I am still planting kale, garlic and trying a few sweet onion seedlings to over winter, digging late potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, beets, gathering seed, etc.  Some of the sorghum is not ripe yet, and no frost seems likely for two weeks.  I always plan a second season harvest because I get away with horticulture things that I wouldn't have bothered to try 25 years ago.

Plus, there are biennial flowers to start for next season and on and on and on it goes.....    I can't call the season over until the planet does.   Sigh.....then there are eucalyptus seed flats for next year's bouquets in the greenhouse, the wretched rodents to battle, perfect red Carmen peppers still awaiting harvest;in spring, I am all charged up and ready to go, but in the autumn, I struggle against a sense of time shutting me down.   And now the daylight grows short.....this is why the list serve is as quiet in September as it is in April.
Shawnee, zone 5, 65 miles west of Chicago