market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Strawberries - Oats in the row middles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Strawberries - Oats in the row middles
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:38:00 -0500 (CDT)

From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
Date: 2007/09/18 Tue AM 07:17:38 CDT
To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>

From: Sean Albiston <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
Date: 2007/09/18 Tue AM 07:17:38 CDT
To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>

Andy, I don't plant oats in the row middles of strawberries, however, I do
plant oats (2 crops) in the row middles of garlic, using the oats grown as
a mulch in the garlic bed. Works very well.

Take care when growing grains in garlic and onions. Grains harbor a thrip
that will infest the crop after straw is cut.
Oats don't overwinter well, I would try barley. it makes a nicer heavier
straw. Better to grow a bed of grain by itself, feed it well in February and
it will make alot more straw for mulch that you can move into the
strawberries... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.