market-farming - [Market-farming] scary list serve tonight

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] scary list serve tonight
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:38:06 -0500

Not going to engage in the fraught global warming debate this evening...just sending this:

*Knott's Handbook is very handy for helping to plan crop yields.  At least presents a baseline to help sort out the confusion....Johnny's Selected Seeds hardcopy catalogue also has a very good reference chart.

*Loved the quote from the Joy of Beekeeping

*Also loved the quote about the rock and inherent diginity, of which is there is a certain lack of understanding amongst many people.

On sowing oats as, I reinterpret, for a cover/green manure crop (?) four weeks before frost.  Forecast is for frost tonight, September 14th, in Northern Illinois.  Yikes!  I would have had to sown those oats a month ago.  (?)  I have been sowing dutch white clover...often referred to in these days of lawn weed paranoia as New Zealand clover, as a cover crop for a perennial source of nitrogen.  The Dutch white clover can be sown anytime you've a mind to, makes a useful living mulch that does not reduce crop yields, can be tilled under whenever needed for bed forming, recovers from any machine abuse, chemically grabs nitrogen from the atmosphere for free, globally warming or not and is the best growing buddy ever.  I could go on praising this humble, hardworking, much-maligned plant, but I am expecting a call from Al Gore and must stay close to the phone.

I started struggling with July temperatures in April.  Sulked about July type weather all season; got the monsoons with 23.5 inches of rain in August; just plugged in my electric blanket in the middle of September.  I do know that I get away with things, botanically speaking, that I would never have risked 30 years ago.  And I get slapped upside the head, botanically speaking, with things that I used to assume I knew about.

Shawnee, carpe diem, under the electric blanket presuming the best of people.

Share your special parenting moments!

  • [Market-farming] scary list serve tonight, Shawnee Flowerfarmer, 09/14/2007