market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] honey bees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <bullrunfarm AT hughes.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] honey bees
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 22:43:49 -0400

Does anyone know what kind of damage the honey
> bees
> can do to my roof, and better yet, how to get rid of them for good?

If you don't have a hive there, and if your statement that your neighbor captured the swarm (not rescued, swarming is a natural event and requires no involvement from humans ) is true, then

1. the misc. bees that were not collected when the swarm was captured will soon die of exposure and starvation if they don't find a hive to join up with,

and 2. a collection of honey bees without a queen will not create a hive and will not cause any damage (and even if there was a hive somewhere in your wallboards the damage would be due to the bees somehow dying and leaving behind honey which might make a sticky mess).

3. I assume you are spraying with a hornet poison. The effect of this isn't to 'get rid of'' the honey bees. It is a poison. you are attempting to kill them. If they 'persist' it means that you didn't hit them with the poison.

I sort of suspect from your description that either your neighbor didn't get the queen when he tried to collect the swarm or you have another swarm that has taken up residence in your house and what you are seeing are the bees hanging out around the opening to the hive entrance. Why don't you ask your beekeeping neighbor to come back and look at what's going on. I'm sure he can tell you.
--

  • Re: [Market-farming] honey bees, Leigh Hauter, 09/04/2007