market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Crop support

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Crop support
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 23:14:22 -0400

On Jul 14, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Sharon and Steve wrote:

By way of experimenting I planted Lincoln and Green Arrow peas each with a
row on chicken wire beside a row with no support. And I am glad I did as if
I did not have those on wire I would not have had many peas.The unsupported
rows are rotten at ground level, due to trapped moisture, during this the
driest year I have seen.

Chicken wire being the price it is brings my question which is what are any
of you using for crop support?

For dwarf and semi-dwarf varieties: medium-sized bamboo stakes about 20' to 25' apart, with several tiers of untreated twine strung along them.

Taller pea varieties I expect need more support than that; but this is relatively cheap and easy and sufficient for the shorter peas, which, in my experience, do much better (and are much easier to pick) trellised than not.