market-farming - [Market-farming] seed starting supplies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] seed starting supplies
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:30:01 -0500

Also try ITML    maybe at itml.com   They supply horticultural distributors all over the country and sometimes have close-out lots of different sized/colored inserts and flats.  (a basic sized insert is frequently referred to as a 1020 with a flat that fits it)

They will sell to the general public,but quantities and shipping may be interesting to arrange.  Last season I bought 1020 sized flats and inserts (tear-a-away 6 paks of 48 cells) for extremely cheap because the inserts were terra cotta colored....

Also any horticultural distributor will have an enormus variety of container systems to choose from.  (ITML supplies them all)  Carlin Horticultural is a good source  (located in Wisconsin and shipping everywhere) but you may have a distributor closer to you.

And salvage everywhere...customers now bring me every sort/size of container, and I stash them all.  If you are close to Tenessesee where there are many commercial growers-Smithville, McMinville, etc-there are many people willing to sell flats, inserts, containers of all sorts.

I ask everybody to bring me their containers and flats for reuse and now have a mountain of them.  Most people would rather have their plant containers recycled than put them in the trash.  Once the word gets out in your neighborhood......

Shawnee, zone 5 Northern Illinois

See what you’re getting into…before you go there