market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] raccoon strategies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] raccoon strategies
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:43:29 -0500

How sad and expensive, Joan. The only thing (over the past 8 years) I found to protect my poultry (ducks, chickens, turkeys) was a Great Pyrenees....though the poultry had to be fenced into smaller inner pasture with chicken wire over the top of their pens, since he played with them as though they were his goats (the goats could put him in his place, but not the ducks, etc.) and the poultry didn't survive his play.

I have also used the Premier poultry fencing, but only for ducks, as my chickens and turkeys could fly over it.

With the Great Pyr I did not loose a single animal...even the "feral" chickens roosting in the woods seemed safe for several years.....though they were not in the pasture with the dog. Once I moved from the farm with the dog, the feral chickens were killed within a few weeks.

nan, formerly of dancing goats farm